M A Y / 2 0 1 9
Join Our Conversation
Please join our conversation on Facebook and Twitter, and receive health tips as well as information on the latest services. Find us at "applevalleymedicalcenter" on Facebook and at "applevalleymc" on Twitter.
Please join Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute's Sports and Recreation Department for the second annual showcase of adaptive sports and recreational activities in Minnesota on May 18. This year promises to be bigger and better than ever, with more demos and clinics offered throughout the day. The event is a partnership between Courage Kenny and dozens of local nonprofit and community organizations and hosted by the University of Minnesota’s Minneapolis Recreation & Wellness Center.
At this event, you will have the chance to:
• Learn about, observe, and try various sports and recreational activities adapted for people with disabilities, including golf, sled hockey, Nordic skiing, arts, theater, therapeutic riding, rock climbing, adaptive fitness, power soccer, and more.
• Meet with representatives from local adaptive sports and recreation organizations.
• Discover resources to help you access and fund adaptive equipment.
• Attend panel discussions and presentations featuring athletes and directors from local organizations. Remember, Courage Kenny Sports & Physical Therapy sees patients here at the Apple Valley Medical Center.
Thank you to event sponsors for helping make this event possible! University of Minnesota Recreation and Wellness and Paul's Pals. Learn more at #DiscoverYourSport or contact Courage Kenny Sports and Recreation at 612-775-2277.
The Occupational Health and Safety Act (OSHA) was signed into law in 1970, making employers responsible for providing a safe and healthy work environment for their employees. The Apple Valley Medical Center offers a wide range of Occupational Health Services for both employers and workers, including the following:
• Pre-placement exams
• OSHA respirator clearance exams
• OSHA employee respirator questionnaire clearance
• Department of Transportation, or DOT, exams
• Fitness for duty or return to work exams
• Physical abilities testing (P.A.T)
• Tuberculosis, or TB, testing (Mantoux® and QuantiFERON Gold®)
• Firefighter and police pre-employment exams
• Drug and alcohol screening program: Federal and non-regulated urine drug screen testing with Medical Review Officer (MRO) program, including complimentary random selection administration. Federal & non-regulated breath alcohol testing. Blood alcohol testing.
• Audiometric (hearing) testing
• Employer vaccinations
For more information on our Occupational Health Services, visit Apple Valley Medical Center Occupational Health Services or call 952-953-9206. To make an appointment with one of our family medicine providers, call 952-432-6161.
Women's Health Week is a great time to focus on the women in your life — including YOU! According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, women can improve their physical and mental health by doing the following:
• Visit a doctor for a wellness checkup, preventive screening and vaccines.
• Pay attention to mental health, sleep and manage stress.
• Practice safe behaviors. Quit smoking, don’t text while driving, and take steps to protect yourself from sexually transmitted infections.
Learn more about Women's Health Week at Women'sHealth.gov, and take the online quiz to find your health score. Then call us to make an appointment for that checkup. Our family medicine clinic is open Monday through Thursday from 8 am to 8 pm, Friday from 8 am to 6 pm, as well as Saturday morning. Same-day appointments are often available. Call today. 952-432-6161.
Are you noticing that you have to turn up the television a notch or two to hear it more clearly? Are you finding yourself saying, "What?" more often? According to the National Institutes of Health, approximately 15 percent of adults in the United States age 18 and older report some trouble hearing, and age is the strongest predictor of hearing loss among adults 20-69. Men are almost twice as likely as women to have hearing loss, especially after age 60.
Family medicine physicians at the Apple Valley Medical Center care about your hearing. That's why every patient is offered a free hearing exam. Call today for an appointment: 952-432-6161.
If we suspect a hearing loss, we can provide:
• Comprehensive audiometry
• Video otoscopy
• A referral to ENT Specialty Care right here at the Apple Valley Medical Center
• Hearing aid selection, fitting, fine-tuning
• Instrument cleaning and repair
• Lifetime ongoing instrument care at no charge
During Healthy Vision Month, take steps to preserve your eyesight. Eat those carrots — yes carrots! — and plenty of green, leafy vegetables, such as spinach and kale. Wear sunglasses even when the sun isn't at its brightest. Get plenty of exercise, as anything that keeps your heart healthy also keeps your eyes healthy. And remember to give your eyes a break from too much time staring at your computer or your phone.
If you notice any trouble with your vision, give the providers at Foley Eye Clinic a call. They see patients right here at the Apple Valley Medical Center. For an appointment, call 651-287-2020.
Family Medicine / Specialty Care / 365 Days a Year Urgent Care
Clinical Skin Therapeutics / Occupational Health Services / Medical Imaging
Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation / Pharmacy / and more
Forward this to a friend.
Follow us on